domingo, 25 de febrero de 2007

Las Ramblas - Part I













I thought I would take the time out today to take a few shots of Las Ramblas. This walking boulevard is the main 'rambla' of the old city and is about a 5 minute walk from the apartment. This is probably the most famous street in Spain and when you walk along the tree-lined 'street' you can see why.

Las Ramblas runs from Plaza Catalunya, the huge square which is the transit hub of the city centre, all the way down to the harbour where the statue of Columbus stands on a huge pillar pointing across the sea to the New World. La Rambla gets its name from a stream that used to run along here, and the Arabic word is 'raml'.

This street divides the old city in half from north to south. On its eastern flank is El Raval, my neighbourhood. On the west side you have the Gothic Quarter. Beautiful old buildings adorn each side of the street and the beautiful Teatre del Liceu is one of my favourites. Along this street is also the entrance to the Boqueria Market, which I will definitely write about another day!

No hay comentarios: